Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Betty {Crock}

One resounding theme among women seems to be how we bite off more than we can chew. We over-commit. We are people-pleasers. We have a hard time saying no. We are convinced we must be the be-all, do-all, know-all, FOR all.

This isn't entirely our fault. We can non-accusingly say that those around us expect it, at least to some degree. And, to add conviction to obligation, we love most of the people we surround ourselves with, so of course we don't want to tell them no or "disappoint" them.

There is a plethora of books/studies/workbooks/prayers/mantras written specifically for this reason; specifically to help make sure you don't think less of yourself by convincing yourself that others think less of you.

Pretty sure my eyes just crossed involuntarily.

Here's the thing: I know it's ok to decline sometimes. I know the world won't stop turning because I don't volunteer. I know I'll remain loved by those who matter even if I can't be there/bring this/cook that.

But that matters little when you want to do those things. Needs need to come first, and that definitely helps narrow the list down. But what do you do with the "wants"?

If you're anything like me, you have several different circles of friends. All of whom you enjoy spending time with...right?? These friends want to meet up for drinks, these friends are having a bbq, it's this friend's birthday, these friends want to plan a trip, and this friend just really needs you right now.

And I want to do it all. I want to cultivate every one of those relationships. Each person is important to me in a different, beautiful way.

Did I mention my sweet son? (Homework, class parties, birthdays, friends, shooting bad guys, life lessons in general...)

And my wonderful boyfriend? (Date nights, work, schedule-juggling, handling the holidays, making sure he knows I'm proud of him, respect and love him, figuring out life in general...)

And my amazing family? (Birthdays, graduations, performances, babysitting, dinners together...)

And my two youngest "children" - Gracie & Gus? (Playing, eating, potty, sleeping, petting, instructing, shedding...)

And we can't forget about my church family (Sunday mornings, choir practice, support system), and my girls at the pool (AquaZumba! Aw yeah!), and my desire to volunteer.

These are all things I want to be a part of. Granted, my son is an immovable priority, but you know what I mean. When "needs" aren't necessarily a factor; when the activities on the horizon all have the same level of importance (Code Orange!); what do you do? How do you decide to divvy-up your time?

And when do you decide you'd just like to sit your pretty little buns on the couch with your favorite VS sweats, a glass of ___________, and one of your all-time favorite movies?

I am truly interested in the method to your (lovely) madness.

Feel free to comment between batches of cupcakes.

Cupcakes come from boxes, right?


2 comments:

Motormouth Macey said...

Umm, those cupcakes look amazing, and I want one. NOW.

I know exactly what you mean and have been feeling this lately too. I think I've finally settled on a "love myself first" approach. I weigh my decisions by what 'feels' right and what resonates with me. If it feels like something I want to do for me then I do it. If it feels like I'm only doing it out of a obligation for the betterment of someone else, I don't. It may sound selfish, but I don't really think it is. You have to take care of you before you can truly help someone else anyway.

Janelle said...

I like this...and probably could've used it before a couple commitments I made! ;)