Tuesday, October 09, 2012

New Constant

I haven't taken a deep breath in a month.

Starting a new chapter doesn't allow for such things, not even as a footnote.

When I finally came to terms with the fact that it was never going to be an "ideal" time to move, I began the monumental task of finding a new address.

And it had to be perfect. Close to a school so I could get Eric to his class and me to work on time, but as far away as possible from the ex (the Moon is not currently taking occupants so Twin Falls was still a viable option.) And one cannot possibly forget the two other children in the Thorpe household: Gracie and GusGus. And, of course, affordability; because, let's face it, I'm not being paid to be this awesome.

And I kid you not, 3 days into my (unsuccessful) search, an opportunity was handed to me on a bedazzled platter. To make a long (but lovely) story short, the 4 of us are moving in to a house that fulfills each of the items above.

{Insert quasi-maniacal squealing and flailing of arms.}

Commence Project My-New-Digs. Which consists primarily of me trying to furnish an entire home in a matter of 3-4 weekends. No, I didn't get anything out of the divorce. No, I'm not sorry about it. Yes, I have all of Craigslist memorized.

Anyway, one rain-check, a few emails, several texts, and one very successful trip to Boise later, and I'm almost done. (May God rain down blessings on my brother and Sean for being my slaves very handsome heroes; on my mom for being all sorts of amazing; and on all of the individuals getting rid of their crap for screamin' deals.)

But above all the craziness of starting new, are the things that remain constant, which includes two very important men who, for their own reasons, want to spend time with me. And sometimes, I am allowed to spend time with them both simultaneously, when I am wearing both the more-floppy, big-flowered, less-flattering "Mom" hat and the more-sexy, mystique-inspiring, sparkly "Girlfriend" hat.


And sometimes I am afforded the opportunity to rock just one of those looks (with the exception of "mom jeans" because...oh, honey, no.) And I get to focus on one of their lives at a time. Sometimes it's ninjas; sometimes it's night-shifts; sometimes it's First Grade; sometimes it's First Friday downtown. Sometimes this, sometimes that, but always wonderful.

And so it goes. And I'm so excited to watch the beautiful melding of the "starting new" with the "always constant" to create our very own "new constant".

The other night, as Sean and I were putting together my dining table & chairs, I flopped down on my new-to-me couch. Eric came up to me in his signature camo barn boots and said, "It's like you guys are married and this is our house together and I'm the kid."

New constant? I think we're getting there.

No comments: