Friday, August 03, 2012

The Other Side

In usual "Janelle" fashion, I have again let a vast amount of time slip by between posts. It seems the "blog-fog" rolls in and, naturally, rolls back out, and I am left with a very sporatic timeline of events. I imagine the dots on my timeline would spell out something fantastic in Morse Code, but leaves something to be desired in the way of consistency.

When I last visited here, I was smack in the middle of my divorce. And even now, I feel sorry for my anxiety-ridden self from then. Divorce is ugly, foul, and soul-sucking. I'm pretty sure that's how Webster's even defines it. Much like the tar-pits I imagine from the dinosaur age. It's been officially behind me for over a year now, so I hesitate to devote much time to further details. However, it is inevitable that they will come up in some fashion. A summary, if you will:

It was expensive in every way a person can be made to pay. Money will make even people in expensive suits do things they shouldn't do. A lack of morals nullifies a college degree. I'm still trying to figure out which feels worse: angry tears or sad tears...or no tears. Someone who lacks the willingness to change can change you. "I love you" became one of the most hurtful things I've ever heard. Worry clouds even the most beautiful days. A family, rooted in the Lord, will not be shaken, unless it has something to do with a very good martini; and you, my ex, are not a good martini. God is faithful; so cliche, but cliche for a reason. I spent more time reading the final report than I did the Bible = big mistake. Some people cut red meat out of their diets for heart health; I've found that scouring Proverbs for God's promises has a similar effect (bonus: they don't charge you for taking a list of them into the attorney's office with you! At least not yet, anyway.) Fighting for her child is something every mother is prepared to do, but not one should ever have to do it. Divorce is not God's design; it is man's, and it is beneath the Lord; however, this divorce was a blessing and the Lord's hand was on it.

Fast-forward to today, right this minute: I have a very tall, very handsome 6.5 year-old who lost all 4 of his front teeth in, what seemed like, 7 minutes of each other. He will be starting 1st Grade shortly and is madly in love with a sweet girl in his class. He's also convinced himself that once he's married her, he will be forced to kiss her because that's what you do when you're married. I have yet to correct him. The end of this month will mark my 2nd year with the wonderful engineering firm who I tricked convinced to hire me after the available position fell right in my lap. I'm coming up on my 29th birthday and am looking forward to the brand new decade that lay on the horizon. And while I know time continues to pass, I don't feel (or look) much older; I just roll my eyes and turn the channel more now.

And if we're friends on FB, I know you've seen him plastered all over my photos, but I would like to do a proper introduction here: Sean Armatage is the brave, handsome man who decided to date me instead of embark on a Mt. Everest-climbing adventure. I'm pretty sure the mountain would've been easier. But honestly, he walked into my life one evening and has yet to walk out of it. That was a little over a year ago. And I fall more in love with him every day. Not the flowery, birds singing, shooting stars, love is all we need bologna. I'm talking about the reality of every day kind of love. Knowing that, even though we might not see eye-to-eye on something, we both want to work it out because we know we have something great. And yes, this is me, almost 30, and talking about being truly in love for the first time. Which isn't a bad idea for the general population, if you ask me. Sean is one of the most patient individuals I've ever met, which doesn't surprise me -- I'm...well...less patient, let's say, so I'm pretty sure God slapped him on the back in a "you got this" kind of way as He shoved Sean into my life. Heh heh...poor guy.

We are getting ready for a couple birthdays/celebrations in my house, but I still promise to try to write more often. Writing that here is purely for my sake. We have a dinner party/river cruise planned for 2 weeks from today that I refuse to leave undocumented.

2 comments:

Motormouth Macey said...

So glad you are back! This is a beautiful post (like you could ever pen something less than beautiful) and I look forward to reading more entries!

The onion Farmers Wife said...

You beautiful soul! So good to read your words.:) I love you!