Wednesday, August 22, 2012

I Think I'm Gonna Be Sick

"Sixty-seven miles per hour."

Psh. That's an efficient pace but not enough to blow your head back. And, if you want my opinion, should be the speed limit on the 13-mile stretch of stop-free highway that sits between me and the rest of civilization. Noooo biggie.

Twists and turns and G-forces and breath-taking plummets towards earth. Sounds like a poor analogy for my life. Heh...heh. *Gulp*

But the view! Oh, the view! It's like you're soaring over the Manhattan skyline. Er...sorry. Maybe "soaring" was a poor choice. Besides, "soaring" implies that you're gliding effortlessly through the air, your gaze lingering on anything that falls within view, taking your time rising and falling, a whimsical dance with the breeze. With approximately 2.6 seconds to take in the view, "soaring" is definitely not the correct term. Screaming. Screaming through the air. Yes, that's much better. The double use of the word is far more accurate.

{Enter Thrill Ride of Doom, stage right.}


The Roller Coaster, New York New York

Lady Liberty is standing confidently in front of this man-made trap of steel tentacles. If nothing else, one would be, dare I say, proud to ride The Roller Coaster. "One" being anyone who manages to ignore the similarities between this ride and Davy Jones' giant squid whom he releases on the Black Pearl to "drag her back to the depths."

That being said, I conducted an informal poll on my FB friends: Is riding a roller coaster romantic?

The overwhelming response? Yes!

My first reaction was, "What the? This goes against every romantic stereotype...EVER!" Granted, I had to agree that puking did nothing to set the mood, so avoid that if possible. But between the marriage proposals and closeness that only fighting for your lives together can bring, I began to see their point. One friend summarized it nicely by turning the question around on me: "Would spending time together, enjoying each others' company, and have a blast of fun while your head and body whips around a track at a high rate of speed be romantic?" I was totally on-board until that last part...

But what brings people together? Drinking! Sigh. I promise to try harder. One more time: what brings people together? Laughter. And survival.

And if I survive, and am not otherwise occupied with other activities (puking), I plan on laughing off the experience.

And drinking.

No comments: