Friday, February 27, 2009

Allow Me to Introduce...Gus

Valentine's Day brought more than candy and heart-shaped balloons to our house this year. Levi showed up with this little squirt in the middle of the afternoon, saying someone didn't have any money for a part but that their dog had unexpectedly gotten pregnant. The original owners lived in a camper trailer and couldn't afford much, let alone dog food for 3 dogs (mommy & 2 babies).
Levi got suckered into accepting the rollie-pollie and *POOF* we now have Gus.
He's been a fun addition. Gracie didn't know what to think of him at first, but they became fast friends and he gives her a run for her money. He also learned how to operate the doggie-door rather quickly, and I am very grateful for that!
One of the biggest hurdles I had to help him overcome was the fact that he would always have food. It became very clear to me that he thought every meal just might be his last. He would eat at the bowl of dog food until his stomach was stretched as far as it could go and he was barely able to walk or breathe! So, I had to give him little bowl-fuls at a time. He would also go nuts any time he smelled "people food" (which was what his diet consisted of at his previous home). He would claw at the cabinets and look and sniff around frantically.
Now, I am happy to state that I can leave a full bowl of dog food on the floor and he'll only bother with it when he's actually hungry. Yay!

Oh, and his face is even flatter than Gracie's, if you can believe that!


3 comments:

Motormouth Macey said...

Have you seen the previews for the movie "Hotel for Dogs"? I think it resembles your home. lol.
Congrats on the new addition :)

LoriAnn said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Little Gussy-Boy is so cute! I just love him! It's just not fair, I'm so jealous!! :) Maybe I could see if Christian will start to accept puppies for payment too...but then we'd have to pay our bills and mortgage in puppies...that might not work so well. Oh well, someday I'll have a little Gus-Gus of my own. Give him a good scratch from Auntie Lori!

Lacy said...

Oh little gus is cute. How nice of Levi to accept the puppy as payment. I bet it was a big blessing for the family and the dog, and hopefully will be for you guys as well.