Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Valued | Linda

When I hear the words "soul mate", I often scoff as images of shooting stars, glazed-over stares, birds chirping, heavy sighs, and the occasional unicorn play on a Hollywood-induced reel in my mind.

(I am a cynic realist.)

Online dating sites ensure the only thing standing between you and your one-and-only is a subscription to their services.

Some people lock eyes with the love of their life across the smokey bar.

I found mine in 5th grade. At a tiny Lutheran school. Adorned with huge blonde bangs and a hideous corduroy skirt. My life was never the same.

Allow me to introduce Linda:


Our friendship was immediate & effortless. I have no idea what bonded us or what made us want to be friends. It was out of my control. I just know we were supposed to be friends.

She is the most hilarious woman in my life to date. Aching abs, running makeup, you know...the ugly laugh/cry. No dignity, just laughter.

The notes, texts, emails, phone calls that string between the years in our friendship would stretch to the moon and back. She is the first one I think to tell when I get news, any news. She is one of my biggest fans, hands down. "I love yous" are openly exchanged, but unnecessary. We know. We've been through waaaay too much to even question it. We are an incredible, delicate balance to each other. Strong when the other is weak, grounded when the other is freaking out, encouraging when the other is struggling.

We were separated, completely cut-off, for 13 years due to a series of events, only to discover we were only 2 hours apart. And there were tears when that distance was bridged.

She is a pillar of strength. Pulling herself through every single thing she's encountered, most often by her own will. She is a mother to 2 young boys who are more like her than she probably cares to admit (sarcastic, fearless, rebellious, sweet), but wouldn't have it any other way. Ever. She is the most beautiful blend of mother-father roles & responsibility. It's not always easy for a woman to act like she's "got a pair", but with Linda...well, we're pretty sure it's not just a mental state of being - it's biological.

She's up for almost anything, except for dancing sober. She's a whiskey girl, but only if she doesn't have to pay for it. She swears like a sailor in acrylic nails and 4-inch heels. And motorcycle-riding men is a serious weakness of hers.

Can I sum up why I believe she is stitched into my very soul? No. It's so many years, experiences, words, late nights...there's no way to compress that down and retain the value. And honestly, the condensed version of that - the highly concentrated version - would probably make you pucker.

She was brought into my life for a reason and I believe the same applies to me of her life. I don't think there will ever be a time in my life when I don't miss her. If another 13 years ever goes by without contact, I can only see twice as many tears being shed. My heart looks for her, for the beauty and hilarity she naturally brings to my life, and I don't think any amount of time or distance can stop that.

"I love you" can become flippant and commonplace. Even when we mean it. But today, I want her to know:

I value you.

2 comments:

JO-JO said...

Very nicely written. I do not know her, but she sounds pretty spectacular! It takes a good friend to know one!

Janelle said...

Thank you, Jo-Jo! Your thoughtful words mean a lot!