Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Oh, He's Listening Alright

Eric is an amazing communicator. His vocabulary is huge and he can carry on like an adult. And nothing could make me prouder...or make me want to slap my forehead...like his "little" 3 year old mouth.

The subtlety and obvious nature of what children say is just hilarious. Like, when I stub my toe, for example, and Eric will ask me "What did you do?" I'll tell him what happened and that it hurt my toe and he responds with "Well, don't do that then."

Problem solved.

And one of the most memorable times was when he was sitting on the couch, by himself, playing with his Optimus Prime transformer. He loves that toy, but it gets the best of him sometimes. My proof comes from what I overheard as I was in the adjoining kitchen: "I'm so frustrated with this damn* transformer thing!"

I slapped my hand over my mouth to stifle the laughter over what I could not believe I had just heard. My beautiful, pure baby boy, playing innocently with his toy on the couch with, what I imagined to be, black residue on his little lips!

After I composed myself, I calmly and nonchalantly mentioned that that wasn't a nice word and we try not to say it...so, how's about that weather?!

Anyway, onto my true inspiration for this post: this morning.

Levi had just gotten up for work; I was still laying in bed when Eric came and crawled into the newly-vacant spot. Levi came crashing down on both of us, pestering us with poking and tickling. Well, I don't care to be manhandled first thing in the morning, so I sternly asked him to stop.

No luck.

He kept at it and kept at it. I was getting irritated and Levi knew it so he thought he'd try to make it "all better" my placing little kisses on my shoulder. It wasn't working and even Eric knew it because the next thing we heard was:

"You're only kissing her because you're in trouble!"

My kiddo is way too observant.


*please note: I do not use that language. It is not acceptable speech. However, Hollywood insisted on putting it in SpiderMan--one of Eric's all-time favorite movies. And dog-gone it, he learned exactly where to put it in a sentence. Part of me feels like writing a strongly-worded letter...the other part is thankful for the laugh. ;)

2 comments:

Lacy said...

lol *sigh* kids say the darndest things :) Thanks for the laughs Janelle and Eric. I love it "I don't care to be manhandled first thing in the morning" hahaha. That is funny AND observant that Eric would say such a thing about the kisses.

Thanks for your comment on my post. It IS the little things :) They make up for the "manandleing" and lack of listening skills. haha oops did I just say that my husband as a lack of listening skills? Well it's true!

Workmans said...

I loved this post. Sooooo funny!