Monday, July 21, 2008

Unexpected Delivery

Saturday evening, I got to bed much later than I wanted to. Eric and I had spent all day in Boise at Roaring Springs with my family and we were pooped! So, you can understand my less-than-enthusiastic reaction when Levi told me I had a surprise waiting for me in the backyard.

I didn't even have to go back there to know what it was. The day before, he had briefly told me about a litter of boxer pups being attacked by a coyote and all but one had been killed. For some uncomprehensible reason, he felt compelled to bring it to our home.

Now, don't get me wrong--I love animals and would really love to adopt every stickin' one of them out of the shelter, but Levi does not. He does not seem to understand why you can't have a dog that doesn't poop, shed, chew, bark, dig, or breathe for that matter. I tell him it's for the same reasons I can't find a husband like that either. It puts it in perspective, but only momentarily. My frustration, however, lasts a little longer.

I am willing to train and discipline because I want to be able to enjoy my puppy, so I know my invested time will be worth it. Levi absolutely cannot grasp this concept. In his head, dogs have common sense and do naughty things just to tick him off. I'm not joking; it is exasperating. Even more so, since he insists on bringing more animals to our home!

This is about the 3rd or 4th time he's "surprised" me with a dog. Gracie was one of those surprises as well. The other ones I've flat refused. I wouldn't even hold/pet them because that would just mean I'd have to say good-bye and that's not something I handle well.

I'm not sure why I didn't do that with this new puppy. Probably because it was already 11:30 at night when she was "given" to me. Part of me is happy to have her around--she and Gracie play and play and it's wonderful excercise/learning for them both. But I grimace when I think of all the friction our other pets have caused between Levi and I and it makes enjoying her a little more difficult. *sigh*

Anyway, I've named her Ryleigh. Here's some footage of her and Gracie "in action":

1 comment:

Julie said...

Wow she sure is cute though :) I hope that you don't get anymore "surprises" and if you do you're welcome to come stay at our house for awhile, he he!! :)