Friday, May 17, 2013

Knot Happening

This just happened on my FB newsfeed:


Cynthia Chung is obviously a gifted photographer. The picture is beautiful and I don't think it would be nearly as wonderful if that charming Fifth Ave sign wasn't framing the couple from the top (go ahead, cover it with your finger & see). The couple is comfortable being in love...on the sidewalk...of a major city street...in wedding attire.

And this is all great. Except I can't get over the sentence above it.

I'm missing a gene. A girly gene. A taffeta and tulle and lace and beading-encrusted gene. I have no idea what my dream gown is - and this is after already having had a wedding. Many brides go to such lengths to create their perfect day - colors, flowers, wedding monograms, styles, decorations; there's even a term for it: branding.

{Me being the dairy-girl that I am, am having a hard time envisioning "branding" as anything but bellowing calves, a hot iron, and the smell of burnt hair...none of which is featured on The Knot.}

I have never had much of anything "get me through the day", with the exception of the following:

The promise of Date Night (with either or both of my men)
Girls Night
Vacation
The Lord Almighty

But a photo? Of people I don't know? Please tell me I'm not a wedding-robot for struggling with this. And is this photo even chic enough to be featured on a prominent wedding site? Because all of Pinterest (and just about every other wedding blog known to womankind) is telling me that rustic/vintage/shabby chic is the only way to go. All things Mason jar, barn wood, and old suitcases. 
 
I'm pretty sure yellow taxis don't qualify.

But I'm also starting to think that I don't qualify. I mean, I don't even know what I'd want if I got married again*. More specifically, I know what I don't want, but only usually when I see it. I want fun and bright colors and people to have a good time. Simple enough, right? 

Wrong.

Try searching for those keywords in the wedding industry and you know what you get?
Carnival/circus theme!
Fair theme!
Cinema theme!
"Offbeat"
Inspiration from several countries I've never been to nor am a descendant of!
Etsy-made pinwheels & crepe paper backdrops!
Quinceanera, anyone?!

So much web-thusiasm (yes, I just made that up) for so many things that aren't "me"! And I can't be the only one like me, can I? There's got to be at least one other gal who is sitting somewhere, wondering why the industry is practically telling her that her guests will be in a beautiful meadow seated on old church pews and each of her bridesmaids will be in cowboy boots. She's out there, right? {Please know that if you were/are a bride that is all over this current trend, I am envious of you & I know your day will be beautiful & swooned over. You will have no trouble finding decor & accessories & ideas. And I envy you for that.}


*I need to be completely honest here and say that I DO (heh, see what I did there?) know what I'd want if I ever get married again: courthouse or elopement. I would still love to plan a big, fun reception & celebrate the day away with friends & family, but the wedding...the wedding can be our own thing, without all the hoopla, obligations, or expectations.
Or re-purposed dressers.

No comments: