Friday, November 16, 2012

Gangnam (Blogging) Style

Raising my blog from the dead has given me an interesting perspective. Mostly on other blogs.

Because I know how I feel after I compose something, I am compelled, obligated even, to read posts written by others. To take advantage of the window they've left open to their heart and mind. And I am never disappointed by what they allow me to see, whether it's a photo of their favorite sneakers or a summary of a recent trip or something far more insightful. It is personal and, because of that, it is beautiful.

But I spent a good chunk of my drive to Jerome & back last night thinking about what "windows" I leave open and the view I leave others to absorb. I came to a couple conclusions about what you will typically NOT see when looking out my windows:
  1. Shooting stars
  2. Thought-bubbles full of hearts
  3. Lists of things that inspire me
  4. A yellow brick road
  5. Neatly-place road signs reassuring me that I'm on the right track
  6. Fluffy woodland creatures living in harmony with their natural predators
  7. Bucket lists, goals, motivational phrases, and the like
  8. Vanilla-scented anything
  9. Wisdom for the ages
  10. Unicorns
And while I appreciate the opportunity to enjoy those views from others' windows, I have come to terms with the fact that those things just don't do it for me. It would be unnatural and uncomfortable for me to write, let alone for you to read. You'd be able to tell my sincerity was left out of the equation. Can you imagine reading something I wrote without being able to detect a trace of metaphorical eye-rolling?

Alas, here I sit, with one eyebrow perched high on my brow in assumed skepticsm. And we are all comfortable again.

This is me. The girl with quips that are more suited for demotivational posters than for fortune cookies. With facial expressions that end up embarrassing you more than her. With the uncanny ability to make those I love laugh, even though they're upset. With the desire to love fiercely, but not in a rose-colored, candy-coated, vanilla-scented (bleh) "love is all we need" kind of way; but in an in-your-face, Imma own this, do it and do it well, grammatically correct (so help me), work-at-it kind of way.

And both views are wonderful and necessary to be appreciated. One is read with a sigh of optimism and blind hope; the other with a sigh of exasperation and a hint of whisky. One just as valid as the other.

On that note, mind if I borrow your unicorn? There's a new place down the (yellow brick) road that's supposed to have $5 buckets of vanilla-scented alcohol called "Shooting Stars". Word on the street is they inspire you to obey all neatly-placed road signs and help you avoid running over fluffy woodland creatures. But parking's crazy.


No comments: